Becoming a Parent Changed How I Think About Student Development
My Personal Connection to Student Development
Before I found out I was going to have a daughter, I had never really thought deeply about children’s development or done much research about it. After she was born, that changed completely. My daughter is now 14 months old, and watching her grow has made me pay much more attention to how children develop physically, mentally, socially, and emotionally.
As a new parent, I started noticing things I had never really thought about before, such as fine motor skills and gross motor skills. I began watching how she learned to hold objects, pick up small items, crawl, stand, move around, and gradually become more independent. These small changes made me realize that development is happening all the time and that every stage brings new abilities and new challenges.
Why Understanding Development Matters
This connects closely to what we learned in class about why development matters. The course materials explain that teachers need to understand development so they can plan activities that are appropriate for students’ ages and abilities, set realistic expectations, understand why children of the same age may still be different, and recognize that some developmental changes happen quickly while others may take years.
This idea is meaningful to me not only as a future teacher, but also as a parent. As my daughter grows, I want to have some understanding of what developmental stage or period she is in. I want to know what kinds of physical, cognitive, emotional, and social changes may be common at different ages so that I can better understand the situations I may encounter during her growth.
Understanding Different Developmental Stages
One theory that stood out to me was Piaget’s theory of cognitive development. The course describes how children move through different stages of thinking, beginning with sensorimotor learning and gradually developing more logical and abstract thinking.
Learning about these stages helps me understand that children may think very differently from adults. A child may not yet be developmentally ready to understand something in the same way that an older child or adult can. As a parent, this reminds me to be more patient and to think about whether my expectations are appropriate for my daughter’s stage of development.
There Is No “Typical” Child
Another idea that I found especially important is that children of the same age can still develop very differently. The course materials explain that students may vary because of age, experiences, knowledge, and individual developmental differences.
The presentation also introduces the idea of the “illusion of the typical student,” which reminds us that there is no single developmental pattern that perfectly describes every child.
This is important for me to remember with my own daughter. Learning about developmental stages can give me a useful reference point, but I should not expect her to reach every milestone at exactly the same time as another child. The same idea will also be important in my future classroom, where students of the same age may have very different strengths, needs, and learning progress.
How This Will Influence Me as a Parent and Teacher
For me, learning about student development is meaningful in two ways. As a parent, it helps me better understand what my daughter may be experiencing as she grows. If she becomes more independent, frustrated, curious, shy, or emotional at certain stages, I want to have some background knowledge that helps me understand why these changes may be happening.
As a future teacher, this knowledge reminds me to be patient, flexible, and careful about making assumptions about students. Developmental theories can help me understand general patterns, but they should not be used to label children or assume that every child should develop in exactly the same way.
Learning about student development is meaningful to me not only as a future teacher, but also as a parent. It gives me a better idea of what stage a child may be in, what they may be capable of, and how adults can support them through each period of growth.

No comments:
Post a Comment