When I started thinking about Piaget and Vygotsky, I realized that I actually agree with a lot of what both of them believed about learning. Their perspectives are different, but I don't necessarily think one has to be right and the other wrong. I think there is a place for both in the classroom. That being said, I do find myself connecting a little more with Piaget because of how much I believe in learning through experience, making mistakes, and trying again.
I have always thought that trial and error is an important part of learning. If a teacher is too quick to fix every mistake a student makes, I think there is a chance that the student starts to rely on the teacher to solve the problem for them. Sometimes students need a chance to be wrong. They need time to look at what they did, think about why it didn't work, and try something different. I think there is a lot of learning that happens during that process.
Thinking back to when I was a student, math is probably one of the best examples of this for me. I remember the answers always being at the back of the textbook. If I couldn't figure out a question, it was very tempting to just flip to the back and see what the answer was. Instead, I was encouraged to keep trying and go back through my work to see where I went wrong. At the time, that could definitely be frustrating, but there was also a much better feeling when I finally figured it out myself. Looking back now, I can see that I was learning more than just how to solve that one math question. I was also learning how to work through a problem instead of immediately looking for someone or something to give me the answer.
I have noticed the same thing in my life outside of school. Golf is a sport I learned to play almost completely through trial and error. I never took lessons, I just kept practicing, trying different things, making adjustments, and slowly figuring out what worked for me. Obviously, there were a lot of bad shots along the way, but those bad shots were part of how I learned. Experiences like that are probably part of the reason why Piaget's perspective makes so much sense to me. I don't think making a mistake always means that something has gone wrong with the learning. Sometimes the mistake is what actually leads to the learning.
At the same time, I don't think students should just be left to struggle until they eventually figure everything out themselves. This is where I really see the importance of Vygotsky's perspective. Sometimes a student is going to need someone to guide them in the right direction. They might not be able to do something completely on their own yet, but with the right amount of support, they can get there. I think the difficult part for a teacher is figuring out what that “right amount” of support actually looks like.
When I think about teachers who did this well for me, I immediately think about my Grade 7 teacher, Mr. Duggan. He was someone who knew how to guide me and encourage me without making me feel like I wasn't capable of doing something myself. One of the biggest things I remember about him was simply knowing that he believed in me. That was really motivating for me as a student. Looking back, I don't remember every lesson he taught me, but I do remember how much his encouragement made me want to be successful. I think that says a lot about how important a teacher's support can be.
I also think about this when I coach my little goalkeepers. Sometimes I can see a goalie struggling with a technique, and I have to decide whether I should step in or give them another chance to work through it. If I correct every little thing immediately, they don't really get the chance to figure out what feels right or recognize what they need to change. On the other hand, if I can see that they are becoming frustrated or upset, I know that it might be time for me to step in and help. Even then, I don't want to just give them the solution. I would rather give them a little bit of guidance and then let them try again.
The more I think about it, the more I realize that this is probably very similar to what I will experience as a teacher. There isn't going to be one perfect approach that works for every student. Some students might want to work through something independently, while another student might need me beside them asking questions or helping them get started. I personally wasn't always someone who loved collaborative learning. I usually preferred getting information or guidance from my teacher and then working through something myself. At the same time, I can see why working with classmates is important. Students can learn a lot from hearing how someone else approached a problem or working together to find a solution.
In my own classroom, especially if I am teaching younger students, I want there to be a lot of hands-on learning. I want students to be able to explore things, ask questions, work with each other, and actually enjoy what they are learning. I also want there to be times when they have to work something out for themselves. I don't want my students to be afraid of getting something wrong or to immediately think that making a mistake means they can't do it.
I think this is why I keep coming back to the idea of a teacher being like a coach. Since I coach myself, that comparison makes a lot of sense to me. As a coach, I can teach a technique, demonstrate it, give feedback, and encourage someone, but I can't perform the skill for them. Eventually, they have to try it themselves. I think teaching is similar. I can give students the tools and support they need, but I also have to give them the chance to use those tools on their own.
If one of my future students looks at me and says, “I can't do this,” I hope my response will be, “You can't do it yet.” I want my students to know that I believe in them, but I also want them to learn to believe in themselves. I don't want to solve every problem for them. I want to give them enough support to keep going until they can eventually solve more of those problems on their own.
Thinking about Piaget and Vygotsky has made me realize that I don't really see their perspectives as an either-or situation. I think students need both independence and support. There are times when a teacher needs to step in, and there are also times when the best thing a teacher can do is step back and let a student try. I might lean a little more toward Piaget because I really value trial and error, but Vygotsky reminds me that students shouldn't have to figure everything out alone either. For me, being a good teacher will probably mean learning how to find that balance for each student.
Giancarlo Varano
No comments:
Post a Comment