Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Science is more than just a scantron if you value interest.

"Why do we even have to learn this?" Every teacher hears it eventually, and I never want to hear it in my own classroom. A student asking it means their interest has already slipped away.

I know how much a teacher can change that, because of my Grade 10 science teacher who was also my Grade 11 and 12 biology teacher. I was in a STEAM cohort that was mostly boys who liked to say biology was the "easiest" and most useless science. She flipped that completely. She brought real energy into the room, encouraged us to ask weird questions, and taught us that failure is a normal step in the scientific process. She tied lessons to real problems and even gave us a whole class to ask her questions about COVID-19 before lockdown. She didn't tell us science mattered. She showed us.

image.png

That memory came back while my group prepared our presentation on interest as the anticipation of pleasure in learning. The reading describes interest as fragile. It starts as situational interest, a short-lived spark tied to something we've enjoyed before, and it can grow into a lasting individual interest and eventually a general love of learning. We summed it up as spark it, support it, let it grow. My teacher did all three.

image.png

This is where assessment comes in. You can spark a student's curiosity and then undo it with a multiple-choice test. The reading warns that grades, rewards, and threats can crowd out intrinsic interest, and that students may do only enough to get the reward or avoid the penalty. They pass the exam but don't keep the knowledge. I don't believe a scantron proves who understands, only who can memorize. I would rather grade how a student designs or analyzes a lab, or use short and long answer questions built around real-world scenarios instead of asking for a definition.

image.png

Our presentation poll showed the difference. Would you rather read a chapter on insects and answer 20 graded questions, or have your teacher bring in a mounted insect and ask why it looks and behaves the way it does? Or choose an insect you've always wondered about and investigate it? Almost no one picks the 20 questions.

Screenshot 2026-09-30 at 11.15.55 PM.png

Supporting interest doesn't mean dropping assessment. I like low-weighted check-ins like exit tickets and pre-lab quizzes because they show me who is falling behind while there's still time to adjust. The reading says feedback works best when it describes what a student did well and how much they've improved, not just a number. My own experience points the same way. As a previous peer tutor I had to understand the material well enough to explain it, and as a camp counselor and Science Council executive, I learned that people stay engaged when they have a real role.

I'm not pretending this is easy. Hands-on projects and real-world case studies cost more time and money than a PowerPoint, and I'll still have a mandatory curriculum to cover. Our presentation named the same barriers for teachers, limited time and resources among them. Many students are also used to sitting back and listening, so being asked to lead can make them anxious. That's why building a classroom where mistakes are safe matters so much.

If I do this well, my students will take science because they want to, not because they need the credit. That's the spark I want to give them.

image.png

[RachaelD@OTU]

No comments:

Post a Comment