Tuesday, September 28, 2021

The Importance of Building Confidence in Students

What is confidence? Confidence can be described as the feeling and/or belief that one can do something well. In a classroom setting, instilling confidence in children is critical - because it allows them to have the belief that they can do something well, and also it will allow them to overcome any obstacles that get in their way. A couple ways to instill confidence in students to be a positive role model for them, to encourage self-talk, to motivate them, using positive affirmations and mindfulness, and many more. 

As teachers, there are many strategies that can be used to build confidence in students. One strategy is to encourage students to shift their attention to subject areas that they are good at. For example, if a student is constantly obsessing over a bad mark they got on a test, reassure them that one bad mark does not define their intelligence or remind them that they can rebound from one bad test, and shift their focus towards the next test. Another strategy to build students' confidence, is to tell them to stop comparing themselves to other students, this can be done by reminding them to stop comparing themselves to others. Another strategy that can be used to build confidence in students, is to celebrate their success. It doesn't matter how big or small the success is, it is still worth celebrating and acknowledging it. 

I remember one instance where my grade 8 teacher believed that I wasn't going to be able to pursue a post-secondary education, and they also believed that I wasn't going to be able to finish high school either. Looking back on that experience, I could have chosen to believe that I wasn't going to be able to pursue a post-secondary education, or that I wasn't going to be able to finish high school. However, those who were close to me and knew me well, were confident in my ability to be able to graduate high school and also be able to pursue a post-secondary education. More importantly, I had confidence in myself that I will be able to graduate high school and to pursue a post-secondary education. Reflecting on my journey, it wasn't always smooth sailing, there were a lot of obstacles I had to overcome - especially in grade 11 and 12, and also while I was pursuing my undergraduate degree. Now, I can truly say that I have obtained a Bachelors of Arts Honours Degree in Psychology.


Brought to you by: Catherine L@NU


No comments:

Post a Comment