Friday, March 22, 2024

NUO Conference 2024: Difficult Conversations

Through a discussion and sharing of personal experiences, Theresa Penny offered an exceptional workshop called Difficult or Courageous Conversations. During the workshop, I gained valuable insights into handling courageous conversations and recognized that I would need to have these conversations as a teacher. I learned how important it is to maintain composure during conversations and refrain from having our emotions derail the conversation's purpose. Additionally, educators should not be scared to seek support from school administrators when faced with difficult conversations. School administrators are here to support us. I also learned the importance of giving yourself time as an educator to come up with all the evidence and facts before talking to a parent about their child to ensure you are fully prepared to have the conversation.
                                             
Learning through interactive discussions and listening to Theresa Penny share her personal experiences facilitated a deeper understanding of these strategies. As an educator, the workshop is very beneficial as I am now better prepared to navigate difficult conversations confidently, ensuring a productive outcome and knowing when to seek assistance from school administrators. In my future teaching endeavours, I intend to apply what I learned from the workshop by maintaining a calm demeanour and collecting my thoughts and evidence before engaging in a difficult conversation. I will not be afraid to ask for help and recognize that collaboration can enhance the effectiveness of some conversations. I will engage with parents and ask insightful questions about their perspectives and experiences to understand my student's backgrounds and challenges better. By applying these strategies, I will feel more confident and better understand how to handle and navigate courageous conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment