One slide from this week’s lecture that really stood out to me was the idea on brain cells in students and how they develop differently. It outlines the two sides of the brain and suggests that the school system will often focus primarily on the “left brain” skills such as math, science, and logic rather than the “right side” which holds the students' creative and expressive side.
This topic really resonated with me as I never excelled in math or science but always had a strong pull and passion towards the arts. In art class, I felt the most comfortable, engaged and proud of my work. As I reflect and connect back to this now in the role of an educator, I find it so important to recognize the ways in which each student learns and provide options for students to excel in their learning.
During my placement last spring, I used a technology tool called iNaturalist. In the Visual Arts class, I provided students with this tool so that they could research a species in their community by looking at photos, habitats, patterns, maps, and observations to then go and create their own detailed sketches and drawings. Learning about the brain today, this tool allows students to use both sides by combining both technology and science to research and also using an artistic lens to observe images. This was interesting to see students learning with their left side by researching the world around them, and then being able to express what they found through visual art.
As a future educator in Visual Arts, I hope to provide students with opportunities to use their individual strengths towards their learning, and as professor mentioned I think it is so important to include student interests into their learning rather than being separate.
No comments:
Post a Comment