An assignment that changed how I think about AI in education was from a religion course I took in Fall 2024, called Holy Heroes: The Lives and Legacies of Christian Martyrs. The assignment was called Voice of a Relic. We researched a Christian martyr and their relic, then presented that research using an AI podcast tool. I chose St. Agnes, and built mine as an interview, using my own real voice to ask the questions, and the software to give voice to her skull.
This was at a time when AI use in coursework was considered an academic integrity issue across all my other courses, so I thought it was a little strange to be asked to use AI for an assignment. But once I started working with the AI, I got fully invested in the creative aspect of the assignment. I ended up really loving the final product. I liked getting to play around with the software and trying everything it could do, and I liked seeing how differently everyone approached the same assignment with the same tool. The AI tool was engaging and gave us another way to present what we learned.
This made me think about how education could do more to build on right-brain skills, like creativity, intuition, and art, alongside the left-brain skills school tends to emphasize. As a teacher, I should be offering students ways to explore ideas and express what they’ve learned in more creative, less traditional ways, and digital and AI tools allow this easily. It also made me think about varied assessments. AI tools give students freedom in demonstrating their learning while making it more engaging.
Overall, that assignment made me reflect on AI in the classroom not being about academic integrity or fear, but about teachers willingness to learn, fail, and try something new and to let their students do the same.
BriannaS@NUO
No comments:
Post a Comment