Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Positive Reinforcement in the Classroom

How many times have we used candy during a presentation as an incentive for participation? How many times have we received stickers on tests when we did well and got a good mark? What about having a movie day in class because the teacher said everyone worked hard and completed a unit ahead of schedule? These are just a few examples of behaviour being rewarded and encouraged, and I would like to think that we are all familiar with at least one of them. 

This method comes from the theory of operant conditioning, developed by B.F. Skinner. The theory proposes that an organism can learn to associate behaviours with certain outcomes. He describes two overarching ways to do this. The first is called reinforcement, which is when an outcome strengthens behaviour and increases its chances of occuring again. The next is punishment, which is when an outcome weakens behaviour and makes it less likely to occur. 

The examples highlighted are all examples of reinforcement. Specifically, these are positive reinforcements. Positive reinforcement is when something good is provided following a behaviour to increase the likelihood of the behaviour repeating; as opposed to negative reinforcement where something unpleasant is taken away following a behaviour to increase the likelihood of the behaviour repeating. 

negative-reinforcement-explained.jpg

In an article discussing effective classroom management, Tracey Garrett states that teachers should not be relying on "bribery" to promote appropriate behaviours. Rather, they should focus on organizing the learning environment, creating rules and routines, establishing caring relationships, creating engaging instruction, and addressing discipline issues. While I do think these ideas are effective and important to consider, I also think that using positive reinforcement can be conducive to learning and promoting certain behaviours. Physical rewards can be motivating depending on the age of the students and what the reward is, but special privileges such as watching a movie, giving free class time, or bringing the students outside for activities also work. Even something as simple as praising a student's participation or complimenting their effort can be effective. One study by Caldarella and colleagues (2020) even proposes a positive linear relationship between a teacher's praise-to-reprimand ratio and on-task student behaviour. Essentially, this suggests that more praise leads to improvement in student behaviour and focus. 

praise.jpg

As someone who has experienced one of the more creative positive reinforcement approaches, I wholeheartedly agree with claims that support its use in the classroom. When I was in grade six, I had a teacher who created her own currency. Any time a student did well on an assignment, worked well in class, or completed a good deed, they would receive a dollar in this currency. Once a month, she would hold an auction and everyone had the chance to bid on prizes. Most of them were candy, though there were a few special privileges included sometimes. Not only was it a lot of fun, but I seem to remember that class being one of the better behaved ones I've experienced. 

As someone who has always prioritized good grades, I strived to do well in her class to make her proud and to be recognized for my hard work. Furthermore, this teacher became - and remains as - my absolute favourite teacher and is someone I continually think about to this day. 

So I think positive reinforcement is an effective method to use in classrooms, and I hope to find creative ways to implement it in my future classes to positively impact student learning and leave a lasting impression on them.

RachelK@OTU over and out.


Resources

Caldarella, P., Larsen, R. A., Williams, L., Downs, K. R., Wills, H. P., & Wehby, J. H. (2020). Effects of teachers’ praise-to-reprimand ratios on elementary students’ on-task behaviour. Educational Psychology, 40(10), 1306-1322.

Di Mario, M. (2024, December 18). School discipline: Why positive reinforcement will shape modern education. Pearson.Com. https://www.pearson.com/international-schools/international-schools-blog/2024/12/school-discipline--why-positive-reinforcement-will-shape-modern-.html

Garrett, T. (2012, November 28). Classroom Management: More than a bag of tricks (opinion). Education Week.

McLeod, S. (2025, March 17). Operant conditioning: What it is, how it works, and examples. Simply Psychology. https://www.simplypsychology.org/operant-conditioning.html

No comments:

Post a Comment