One thing that has been on my mind a lot recently is the difference between getting students to scrape by and begrudgingly complete an assignment and actually getting them interested in what they are learning. As a future teacher, I think this is something that is going to be really important for me to figure out because it is easy to teach a lesson, give students a corresponding assignment and move on to the next topic. The hard part is figuring out how to make students actually care about what they are learning.
From my own experience as a student, I have always noticed a difference between classes where I was simply expected to listen and remember information and classes where I actually felt involved in my own learning. When I am interested in something, I am naturally incentivized to learn more about it and it is much more likely that the information sticks. I think this is something that teachers sometimes have to work harder to facilitate because not every student is going to naturally be interested in every topic that is being taught.
This connects to some of the ideas my group recently discussed about the constructivist approach to learning. Instead of students just being passengers who sit and receive information from their teacher, they are actively involved in building their own understanding. I think there is a lot of value in this because students are more likely to become invested when they have some kind of involvement in the learning process. Whether that is through hands-on activities, discussion, problem solving, or connecting the material to something they already know, I think giving students a reason to be involved can make a big difference.
I also think this is where knowing your students becomes really important. A lesson that works really well for one group of students might not have the same effect on another group. Students have different interests, different strengths, and different ways of approaching learning. Because of this, I do not think teaching can always be a one size fits all approach. Teachers have to be willing to adjust what they are doing based on how their students are responding. Sometimes something that seems like a great idea when planning a lesson does not work the way you expected once you are actually in the classroom, and I think being able to recognize that and make changes is an important part of becoming a better teacher.
At the same time, I do not think this means that every lesson has to be entertaining or that students will always be excited about everything they learn. There are going to be topics that students are not immediately interested in, and there is still content that needs to be taught. I think the responsibility of the teacher is to try to find a way to make that content meaningful and give students a reason to become involved in it. Sometimes that might mean connecting it to something they already care about, while other times it could mean giving them more freedom in how they approach the task.
Ultimately, I think teaching is about more than just getting through the curriculum. Of course, students need to learn the material, but I think it is just as important to create an environment where they actually want to participate in their own learning. As I continue developing my own teaching style, this is something I want to keep in mind. I want my students to feel like they are active participants in the classroom rather than just people who are there to receive information. If I can find ways to make students curious and genuinely interested in what they are learning, I think that will be much more valuable than simply making sure I covered everything I had planned for that day.
KyleC@NU
No comments:
Post a Comment